In sales, a scorecard for your salespeople is an invaluable tool. Not only can the scorecard be used to clearly articulate the goals for each person, but also measure and evaluate his or her performance at any point in time. Performance metrics are about keeping score as the “game” is played. No matter what sport you like or think about, scoring and winning is what motivates players and managers to do their best.
Scorecards also provide team management and team members with invaluable information on trends to help with forecasting. A good sales scorecard provides a readout of all the key activity and results-based metrics required to achieve predictable and sustainable success, both on an individual and team roll-up basis. Your sales scorecard gives everyone on the team a snapshot of targets and average performance on a week-by-week basis.
But what do you measure? You don’t need to collect data if you aren’t going to do anything with it. Measure the metrics that will make the most impact. Some metrics you should think about measuring on your scorecard include:
- New Opportunities (new and existing accounts; number and dollar value)
- Sales Meetings (first time prospect meeting, prospect follow-on, existing accounts)
- Proposals Delivered (new and existing accounts; number and dollar value)
- Active Opportunity Pipeline (total dollar value, number of opportunities, and average dollar value per opportunity)
- Orders Booked (new and existing accounts; number and dollar value)
- Won-Loss-No Decisions (new and existing accounts; number and dollar value)
- Quota Performance (new and existing accounts; percentage and dollar value achievement against assigned quotas)
Once you have this data, you and your team can keep a firm grasp on performance and results to more effectively meet your annual sales growth goals.
So what do you put on your scorecard?
For more tips on how to create a sales scorecard for your company check out my book.
Smooth Selling Forever enables small and mid-size business leaders to generate significant, predictable, and sustainable sales growth. Based in the science of selling, when applied correctly and managed vigilantly, smooth selling produces revenue results in a systematic fashion.
Pipeliner CRM enables sales teams to keep accurate sales scorecards. Download a free trial now.